Thank you to all who participated in our first ever, National Secure Your ID Day on May 3rd. While the weather was cold and damp, the spirit of over 100 families who drove to BWI Thurgood Marshal Airport for BBB | Greater Maryland’s event to dispose of personal data was cheerful and bright. For those husbands, wives, sons and daughters, May 3 was a day to purge files and papers long since needed, or left-behind. They came to Secure Your ID Day to reduce their chances of becoming a victim of identity theft and to breathe a sigh of relief.
Many people opted to watch as their information, and fears of identity theft, were lifted. As much as 350 pounds at a time were consumed by state-of-the-art commercial truck, and devoured into tiny chips that would soon be recycled.
Listed below are some national and local statistics we thought you would enjoy. It is impossible, however, to convey with words just how BBB was touched by the gratitude of the families we served at this event. It’s clear that together, we made a difference in these folks’ lives.
BBB’s 1st National Secure Your ID Day – May 3, 2008
· Shredding events were held at 55 sites across the US, including BWI.
· More than 250 tons of personal information was destroyed in a single day-the largest amount ever shredded in a single day
· The top location, Detroit, destroyed 22.9 tons of personal documents, while Secured Shred and the volunteers from BBB | Greater MD processed almost five tons in Baltimore.
· Over 7,500 cars and two bicycles rolled through the shredding stations.
· People drove to BBB’s event at BWI from Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Harford, Howard, and Prince George’s Counties, and Baltimore City.
· Warm and delicious Krispy Kreme donuts were given away to the delight of thousands of visitors.
At the request of many who attended, locally and elsewhere, BBB |Greater Maryland would like to join other BBBs across the country and sponsor a second event in September 2008. Please check back often for details of our next “Secure Your ID Day”!