RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE BOARD of DIRECTORS
The foundation of a committed, knowledgeable and effective board is the responsibility of the entire board. BBB must maintain the highest standards at all levels, from the board to members to staff to volunteers. The following list of basic responsibilities of this Board of Directors serves to help each person understand and carry out the duties you have undertaken when elected.
- Determine your BBB’s mission, vision and values – our purpose. It is the board’s responsibility to create and review the mission and vision statements that articulate the goals, means, and vision for the present and future.
- Establish and maintain a long-range plan for how the organization is going to achieve the mission. The board must ensure a structured and effective planning process is in place, as well as approve and assist in implementing and monitoring the plan’s goals.
- Select the Chief Executive Officer. The board must carefully select a qualified leader to steward the organization, one whose values align with BBB.
- Support the CEO and review performance annually.
- Provide proper financial oversight. Approving an annual budget and ensuring proper financial controls and accounting principles are in place. Ensuring BBB periodically conducts financial audits and reviews.
- Approve personnel policies and procedures which govern the work and actions of all employees of the organization and include a system for regular and annual evaluation of employees by their respective supervisor.
- Ensure adequate resources. One of the foremost responsibilities is to provide adequate resources for BBB to carry out its mission and purpose.
- Ensure legal and ethical integrity and maintain accountability. The board is ultimately responsible for making sure legal standards and ethical norms are followed.
- Recruit and orient new board members who adhere to the BBB’s values and promote its purpose and ensure board development and proper performance.
- Enhance BBB’s public standing. By garnering support from the community, articulating the mission and purpose of BBB, and showcasing its accomplishments, the board carries out a very important function for the well being of the organization.
- Determine, monitor, and strengthen the BBB’s programs and services. By understanding the mission and purpose of the BBB, the board can ensure programs are developed and/or maintained which meet the needs of the members and the community. Programs should also include cost-effective procedures for evaluating, both qualitatively and quantitatively its programs, program effectiveness and projects in relation to its mission.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF A BBB BOARD MEMBER OR DIRECTOR
As a board member or director of BBB | Greater Maryland, you have specific responsibilities and opportunities. Together with your fellow Board members, you have ultimate control over BBB policies and performance as governed by its by-laws
Representing our Accredited Businesses
First and foremost – you represent the interest of the Accredited Business members and you uphold the principles of the organization.
Accordingly, the board should learn how the responsible business community feels that business can be respond to the needs and wants of the community. They must then translate those wishes into a proper course of action. The board should inform members of its decisions, policies and programs.
Above all, as a director you must be the catalyst for the membership’s participation in BBB activities and programs, and their compliance with BBB Standards and principles.
General Responsibilities of BBB Board Member
- Understand and support BBB, its mission, its programs
- Prepare for, attend and participate in meetings
- Act prudently, seeking adequate information on which to base decisions
- Support Board decisions once they are made
- Avoid self-dealing and conflicts of interest in fact and appearance
- Make the organization a priority for their time, energy, resources and talents
- Educate the public about the work of BBB at every opportunity
- Ask questions!
Specific Responsibilities Related to BBB
In addition to the responsibilities of a Board of Directors, you as a BBB board member are responsible for the following:
- Determining policy related to BBB operations and procedures and ensuring its implementation and adherence to system-wide BBB policies
- Maintaining and increasing the membership of the BBB through oversight of marketing and sales programs and participate in the recruitment of new Accredited Businesses through personal contact with fellow executives.
- Acting upon Business Accreditation applications
- Terminating Accredited Businesses for cause
- Protect the confidentiality of information related to BBB operations, Accredited Business members, non-members, and consumers
- Create policies related to grievance procedures to address complaints related to the BBB operations