BBB Warns Sports Fans, Concert-Goers, and Theater Buffs: Beware of TicketsMyWay.com
Angry consumers sound-off to BBB
about online ticket reseller
BBB is warning sports, music, and theater fans who are trying to get their hands on the hottest event tickets that they might get burned when shopping online with TicketsMyWay.com.
Hundreds of complaints against TicketsMyWay.com, which is run by Las Vegas-based Event Tickets LLC, have been pouring in from consumers across the country. Consumers claim they paid for tickets to shows, concerts and sporting events but say they ultimately received the tickets too late, received tickets for seats that were not valid or weren't as good as agreed upon and, in some cases, did not receive their tickets at all.
Event Tickets LLC has an unsatisfactory rating from BBB due to its performance, which includes nearly 100 instances of non-delivery of tickets, nearly another 100 complaints involving refunds and exchanges, and on about 200 occasions, the company has failed to even respond to BBB or consumers to resolve issues.
"Sports fans, music lovers and theater buffs may not seem to have a lot in common, but all are complaining to BBB about their dissatisfaction with the TicketsMyWay.com site," said Angie Barnett, president & CEO of BBB | Greater Maryland. "There are many reputable online ticket resellers that consumers can safely purchase hard-to-get tickets from, but unfortunately, some consumers have been placing their trust in Web sites such as TicketsMyWay.com and are telling us they are getting ripped off."
According to BBB records, the trend in complaints documents similar concerns. One MD woman, for instance, bought Wicked tickets through TicketsMyWay.com months before the scheduled show. Unfortunately, she never received the tickets and got the run around when she asked for a refund.
Initially, the company told her a computer glitch had caused the error. The representative suggested she try another online service to purchase her seats. When she requested a refund, she was told to contact PayPal. However, since she did not use PayPal to buy the tickets, her only alternative was to dispute the charge with her credit card company.
In the end, this consumer was able to obtain seats at a better price through a BBB Accredited Business, StubHub.com, and successfully dispute the original purchase through her credit card company.
While TicketsMyWay.com might claim that they guarantee to beat any broker's price, customer complaints and the terms and conditions on the Web site reveal a less-than-stellar dedication to customer service. The company's Web site states that it rarely allows cancellations or provides refunds. In those rare cases that TicketsMyWay.com does refund money to dissatisfied customers, their policy, as posted on their Web site states, "a 45 percent fee will be withheld to cover our expense to serve the ticket request." The policy on TicketsMyWay.com also notes that "If you dispute the charge with your credit card company any time after you place your order, you agree to pay a litigation fee of a minimum of $125 and may be responsible for the entire amount of your order plus any interest and penalty fees associated with the servicing of the account."
"While consumers may not like their policy, Event Tickets LLC does make their terms and conditions available on their site," added Barnett. "Consumers should read and weigh terms and conditions before making a purchase online."
BBB offers the following advice for online ticket buyers:
· Look for the BBBOnLine seal. The BBBOnLine logo is a sign that the company has a good reputation for satisfying customers and a secure Web site for processing payments.
· Read the fine print and policies stated on the Web site and pay special attention to the consumer protections provided if they aren't satisfied.
· Downtown Tickets, a BBB Accredited Business, suggests consumers know the difference between "cancelled" and "rescheduled" events. Ticket seller policies will likely vary according to the circumstance.
· Pay with a credit card or through PayPal for added protection and and alternate means to dispute charges.
· Never pay with a debit card, cashier's check or wire money for tickets.
· Scrutinize posted images of tickets closely for inaccuracies or alterations, and cross-check the seat assignment with the map on the venue's Web site before buying.
· File a complaint with online with BBB if you encounter a problem at www.bbb.org and the MD State Attorney General's office at www.oag.state.md.us.