Recently, your BBB hosted a Biz Bits and networking event with presenters from Whiteford Taylor & Preston LLP.
With over 150 attorneys in six offices in the mid-Atlantic region, Whiteford, Taylor & Preston LLP. serves individuals, companies, emerging businesses and professional services firms on complex business, litigation, and bankruptcy matters.
At the Biz Bits event, Whiteford Taylor Preston discussed the top 10 employment law mistakes to avoid in the workplace.
TOP TEN MISTAKES TO AVOID
- Failing to Update Employee Manuals and Handbooks to Comply with New Laws / Regulations.
- Re-using old severance agreements.
- The “1099 Employee.”
- The overly generous employee evaluation.
- Failure to document performance and conduct issues.
- The Email Trail – smoking guns.
- Failure to protect confidential information – think through use of confidentiality agreements and non-competes; treat confidential and trade secret information confidentially.
- Misclassifying employees as “exempt” – salaried does not mean exempt.
- Failure to properly train supervisors and management in the handling of complaints of discriminatory conduct or harassment (including a failure to properly investigate).
- Failure to follow policy/ Inconsistent procedures.