BBB| Greater Maryland Torch Award for Marketplace Excellence
All submitted entries become the property of BBB and/or CBBB and cannot be returned. Winning applications will be made available for public viewing at BBB’s discretion for the purpose of future award workshops, information and training. Submission of the entry indicates acceptance of and agreement to public review of all contents in the future.
Winners/finalists will be notified prior to September 10, 2013 awards and will be provided (1) complimentary reservation to the
Pillars of Trust Leadership Conference luncheon. Reservations for the Trust Edge Training by David Horsager are not included, but may be purchased along with additional reservations for the luncheon.
In order to be eligible for consideration, a business may not have received the award in the last five years and must:
- have a BBB rating of A- or better; if the business is not rated, it must provide the information necessary for BBB to create a Business Review and determine its rating
- be in business – serving clients/customers - for a minimum of four years
- utilize BBB | GMD’s dispute resolution services and process complaints locally, so that BBB | GMD has knowledge of the nominee/applicant’s customer experience factors
- submit an Official Nomination Form (by June 7) and application (by July 25) consisting of a cover letter and supporting documents outlined under the selection criteria.
The following four criteria will be judged equally and will have a maximum point value of 25 each. If the company is not headquartered in BBB | GMD's service area, examples and relevancy should be specific to GMD service area.
1) Narrative identifying high ethical standards of behavior toward your customers, vendors, users, shareholders, employees and communities where you do business. 1 page max
A) Examples of how your business demonstrates ethical standards surrounding the relationships above. 5 pages max
B) Examples of charitable or community service projects. 5 pages max
C) Testimonials or quotes. 5 pages max.
D) Examples of environmentally friendly business practices. 5 pages max
2) Narrative of your long-standing history/reputation as an ethical business in the marketplace. 1 page max
A) Copies of awards, recognition, news articles, etc. 5 pages max
3) Narrative of the practices and policies your company uses to assure all sales, promotional materials and advertisements are truthful and accurate. 1 page max
A) Examples of your sales, promotional materials and advertisements. 5 pages max.
B) As appropriate, examples of improved (e.g. “before and after”) sales practices, promotional materials and/or advertisements. 5 pages max
4) Narrative of how management practices and policies foster and promote an ethical workplace. 1 page max
A) Examples of management practices and policies that foster and promote ethical behavior in the workplace such as employee handbooks, management guidelines and employee benefits. 5 examples max
B) Examples of a code of ethics or training policies used by sales staff that ensures transactions are made in an upfront and ethical manner. 5 pages max
C) Examples of formal training and/or procedures used to address concerns an employee may have in dealing with an ethical dilemma. 5 pages max
D) Cases where your company had to make tough decisions that had negative short-term consequences and led to long-term benefits. 5 pages max
Applicants will be judged against other businesses in the same size category with a maximum of four finalists and four winners, one each per category.
Micro 1-10 employees BBB | GMD’s policy regarding Torch Award judge selection and process.
Small 11-50 employees
Medium 51-500 employees
Large 501+ employees
BBB | GMD’s Torch Award Advertising & Publicity Policy.
NOMINATION DUE JUNE 7, 2013
COVER LETTER & SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ARE DUE JULY 25, 2013
Three ways to enter – choose what works for you!
- Electronic submission – FREE
Email your nomination, supporting narratives and examples along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eight (8) copies by mail – FREE
Return (8) copies each of your nomination, supporting narratives and examples along with a cover letter to BBB | GMD, attention Jody Thomas, 502 S. Sharp St., Ste. 1200, Baltimore, MD 21201-2445.
- One (1) copy by mail - $25 (payable by check to: BBB)
Return (1) copy each of the requested information to the address above.